How To Get A Work Permit In Wisconsin

A work permit is an official document that confers legal authorization for a person to take up employment within a state.

There are majorly two types of work permits issued by the government in the United States. The first one is the work permit that is issued to minors under the age of 18 by a state government before they are allowed to work at a job.

The other work permit is given by the U.S Federal government to immigrants who do not have green cards or to citizens who have just been naturalized.

In this article, we will be discussing how to get a work permit in Wisconsin as a minor and as a foreigner, but first, let’s get to know a bit about Wisconsin.

The State of Wisconsin | Overview

The State of Wisconsin

Wisconsin is a state in the U.S that is known to be the 23rd largest by total area and the 20th most populous in the country.

Wisconsin’s economy is driven by manufacturing, agriculture, tourism, healthcare, information technology, and so on.

The most common jobs held by residents of Wisconsin include Personal Care Assistants, Home Health Aids, Business Analysts, Industrial Mechanics, Taxi Drivers, Web Developers, Nurses, and many more.

Due to the living conditions and a considerable number of job opportunities in the state, minors may want to find jobs early, and foreigners might want to come to the state to seek jobs.

Now, let’s look at how to get a work permit in Wisconsin.

Read Also: Best Websites to Search for a Job

How To Get A Work Permit In Wisconsin | For Minors

Wisconsin Work Visa Application Process

Like many other states in the U.S, Wisconsin makes it mandatory for every minor to get a work permit to be able to work a part-time or a full-time job in any company within the state.

You might think the process of obtaining a Wisconsin work permit is difficult, but it’s actually pretty simple. The following outlines a detailed process on how to get a Wisconsin work permit.

Read Also: Gas Stations Working Age Requirement

Wisconsin Work Visa Application Process

Firstly, any minors under the age of 18 should first get a job offer before he or she can apply for a work permit. As a minor, once you have an employer, you should request a letter from the employer that expresses intent to hire you, the letter should include the employer’s business letterhead.

The letter should also include the description and duties of the job, their work hours, and the time of day the minor will work. The employer or an authorized representative must also sign the letter.

You will also need a letter from your parent or guardian agreeing to the employment pointed out in the employer’s letter.

After gathering the documents above, then the minor and their parent or legal guardian should submit to an authorized permit officer, usually at the high school the minor attends.

Of course, the documentation submitted should include proof of age (birth certificate, state ID card, or baptismal certificate), social security card, and $10 permit fee.

If all documentation is present, after a review, the authorized permit officer will issue the permit using a departmental form.

Originals of the permit will be given to the employer and the minor, whereas the Department of Workforce Development, the permit officer and the school district where the minor is enrolled will all receive copies

Work permits are issued at various locations throughout the state. You may apply for a work permit at your school office or call (608)266-6860 to know where in your area you may apply for a work permit.

Read Also: How to Get a Work Permit in Minnesota

Getting Wisconsin Work Permit (For Foreigners)

The application process for obtaining a work permit, which is also referred to as an employment authorization document or work visa as a foreigner is quite simple if you meet up to the requirements.

If you live in Wisconsin as a foreigner, you should keep in mind not to confuse applying for a work permit with applying for a visa, even though they are most times gotten together if you do not have a green card.

Steps on the application process

To begin the application process, you will need to get a USCIS Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization).

You can download Form I-765 from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website. Read the entire application carefully and attach the correct documents, photos, and fees.

When you are done filling, send it by mail to the USCIS Service Center that serves the area where you live in Wisconsin. Sending it online is also another option if you don’t have a mailing address.

Your application will be processed, and if your application is approved and you file a formal visa application in addition to your work permit, you will be interviewed at the U.S. embassy or consulate in the country where you reside.

You will need to pay an application and issuance fee and provide required documents like a valid passport, proof of residence, passport photographs, statement of account, and so on.

1 thought on “How To Get A Work Permit In Wisconsin”

Comments are closed.