How To Get A Work Permit In Maine

Last Updated on

If you’re looking for how to get a work permit in Maine, this article is for you.

Work permits, also known as employment certificates, are documents issued by the government to foreigners and minors to enable them to be employed legally within a state.

In the United States, there are two types of work permits issued by the government. One is the permit that is issued to minors by a state government, and the other is the type of work permit issued to immigrants by the federal government.

The State of Maine requires that minors obtain a work permit before they are allowed to get a job within the state, and this also applies to foreigners.

Now, if you fall under any of these two categories and you are reading this article, you are lucky because this article will help you learn how to get a work permit in Maine.

But first, let’s get to know a bit more about the state.

Read Also: How to Obtain a Work Permit from Florida

A Brief Overview of Maine

Maine is a state in the United States of America, which is the northernmost state in the northeastern regions in the U.S. Maine is also the 12th smallest by area and 9th least populous in the country.

Maine gets about 60% of its revenue from agriculture. Other supporting industries, such as media, food and service, textiles, tourism, Naval shipbuilding, and so on, make up the other 40%.

Maine is a lovely place to live, the atmosphere there is calm, peaceful and serene, it is said to have one of the lowest crime rates among other states in the country.

How to Get a Work Permit in Maine (For Minors)

Under the Maine state law, minors are required to obtain a work permit before they are allowed to work at a job. Aside from a work permit, employers hiring minors within the state should follow federal child labor laws as well.

And if an employer is found guilty of violating federal child labor laws, they will be charged with criminal penalties and a fine that is up to $10,000 for each violation.

Maine Work Permit Application Process

Acquiring a work permit in Maine as a minor is a simple process. The following are detailed steps on how to obtain a work permit.

Once the minor has found a job, the first step is to fill a form on the Maine Department of the labor website. The minor is to fill portions of the form that asks for their information such as their name, social security number, date of birth, and so on.

The next step is for the minor or the employer to fill the “Information on Employer” portion of the form. Note that if the minor fills this information, they must have collected the required info from their employers beforehand.

This info includes the name and address of the employer, job nature, starting wage, and so on. The next step is for the parent or guardian of the minor to sign the work permit application form.

Then the minor is to submit the application form with their birth certificate, proof of age, and photo I.D., to their schools’ superintendent office.

The office will complete the application and mail it with the other submitted documents to the Maine Department of Labor.

Once the Maine Department of Labor has received the documents, they will then review them to ensure that the minor meets up to their requirements.

Then the Department of Labor will approve the forms and keep one copy for their office and return two copies to the superintendent’s office. These copies are to be given to the school and the minor’s employer.

How to Get Work Permit in M.E. (For Foreigners)

how to obtain a work visa in maine

If you live in Maine as a foreigner and you want to obtain a work permit or a work visa, you can visit a USCIS Service Center closest to your area or follow the following steps.

M.E. Work Visa Application Process

The first step in applying for a U.S. work permit in Maine is to fill an application form; this form is called a USCIS Form I-765. You can get this form from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

After logging on to the website’s page, the next step is to read the entire form carefully then fill it out with the required information.

When you are done filling, send it by mail to the USCIS Service Center that serves the area where you live in Maine. You can also submit it online if you don’t have a mailing address. Attach the correct documents, photos, and fees.

Your application will be processed and If your application is approved if you are deemed eligible.

Read Also: How to Get a Work Visa in Georgia

Fee attachment

When you submit your application form to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a bunch of fees are attached to it.

The amount of these fees differs from time to time. It’s mandatory for you to pay fees by check or money order if you mail in your application, but for e-filing, you can pay by debit card, credit card, or an electronic transfer of funds from a United States bank.

0 Shares
Tweet
Share
Pin
Share